Smell is most definitely my strongest sense. Smells for me are tied to memories and moods. I have about 20 candles in my house, divided into seasons, that I light depending on my mood, on how I want to feel. I've been missing spring and summer these past few weeks so I've been lights some spring and summer scents, Sun N Sand and Summer Wish from Yankee Candle. I own about the same amount of perfume and body sprays, not quite as many body washes, but there's more than one person needs. I choose how to smell based on my mood that day. Am I angry or annoyed I will choose a darker muskier scent, if I'm feeling happy I will choose something light and romantic.
There is a Bath and Body Works scent my ex mother in law wore that I also like which I thought was nice at the time. After my divorce I threw out that body spray swearing never to wear that scent even though I still liked in. A few weeks ago I bought the body wash not remembering at all and not needing to smell since I remembered the scent but not the association. This morning in the shower I opened up and the memories can rushing back. I thought I can get over this by now... nope... it haunted me all day, and all I used was a dab.
Every store I went in to today to shop I could smell my ex mil. One woman I'm pretty sure had the same perfume she used to wear and I freaked out... because what if she was in the same store, what would I do. Another store I smelt it again. Did this sense of smell come from having that body wash scent on me? I don't know, but I'm not going to find out. I remember the detergent she used, won't ever buy that or anything that smells like it.
On the other hand, every once in a while when I use baby powder, it reminds me of my dad, but not every time... it's weird. The smell or blueberries and raspberries brings me back to the sleep away camp I went to where we picked those same berries.
Side note... when I shop for clothes or walk through a department store, I have to touch and feel the clothes.
No comments:
Post a Comment