So a month or so ago I finally decided that things have settled down enough in my life for to start considering getting a dog. I have waited 4 long years for this. Well probably 3, since my bestest puppy passed away. And my evil first condo wouldn't allow pets.
So I did my research and decided on a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel or a Cocker Spaniel. Cavalier King Charles because of Charlotte and Sex and the City mostly and the Cocker Spaniel just like Lady from Disney's Lady and the Tramp. I even went so far as to name the CVK Charlotte and the CS Lady, crazy huh. So a week or so after I had made those decisions a friend of mine said a woman at her bank needs to giver away her Cockapoo. Wow, was this a sign or what?!?! So I went to visit the family and the dog and it went great!!! Later that afternoon though I get a call from the woman that her husband and found someone else who would take the dog, an elderly person who need a companion. That's BS!!!!! This needed to be active, what old person could give that. I am was fuming!!!!
Just last week a coworker said a breeder she knew was looking for a home for 2 female Maltese puppies and I thought, wow another sign. NOT. Before I even got to call him to set anything up he went and sold all the puppies!! I had gotten my hopes up the 2nd time to only be let down. Well this is the last time I look into an offer of someone personal trying to find a new home for a dog. I'm sticking to my original plan of rescuing a dog.
However, rescuing a CKC is not the easiest thing to do. I searched high and low and it just didn't work out. The Cocker Spaniel was more available, but the more research I did, I read that the dog sheds and I really didn't want that. (But as I'm typing this I'm thinking, what's the big deal, I already have a rabbit that sheds, how bad can this Cocker Spaniel be).
I've already been to two shelters, well only one. The place I drove to today I didn't even go into because the neighborhood skeeved me out so I u-turned it and got my white ass out of there fast. The other shelter is one I used to volunteer at in high school. It's a great place but they have a lot of puppy mill dogs, which need more work that I think I would be able to provide them. So I'm slightly discouraged, but will not give up. I've set my mind to this and I will find the right dog for me. I have one or two more "shelters" to look into. If those fail I have the Cocker Spaniel specific rescue in Queens, NY. Then if all else fails, I guess I'll go to a breeder.
CKC first, Cocker Spaniel second


No comments:
Post a Comment