Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sleeping Arrangements

Where does the dog sleep?  My first dog sleep in the bed with me after he grew out of the puppy stages of having to go "out" all the time.  Although I don't really remember this because I was a young teen myself.  I do remember sleeping on the couch to be closer to him, lol.

Now that I have an adult dog, I had to decide whether to let him sleep in the bed with me or sleep in a doggie bed on the floor.  His foster mom said he did not use a crate, but it would be OK if he had to because he can "hold it", so he won't mess the crate.  So the first night I had him sleep on the floor.  But he was pacing up and down, slept for a few hours here and there.  I was up with one eye on him the whole night.  We woke up around 7am and I left him come into the bed and we both fell asleep again till 9am or so.  I was afraid of having him in the bed in case he fell off or jumped off, I didn't want him to hurt his legs.  But that was clearly not going to be a probably when he jumped on and off all by himself when I wasn't even looking.

So the Sunday night I tried him in the bed on the floor but he was pacing again, almost like, "where are you" so I picked him up and put him in the bed.  And we both slept the whole night through just fine.  Again in the bed Monday night and fine once again.  I think he likes being close because he's clingy.  So we usually eat dinner and chill on the couch until it's time for bed.  Tommy completely passes out during this time.  Then we go out for our final walk of the night.  When we get back Tommy is nuts, well not really I think he just wants to go back on the couch to relax.  He doesn't understand that we're still going to relax, but in the bed.  So he wonders around while I get ready and then we plop in bed and fall asleep.  Tommy will hold his No1 and No2 all night long, 10 hrs at most.  Even though he can jump up himself and think he might know that he has to be "invited" up.

Knowing Tommy Bahama can hold his business for that long amount of time makes me feel so much better about leaving him all day while I'm at work.  But if he were to have an accident, like I've said in the past, I only has 1 carpet, so easy clean up.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're doing a FABULOUS job, doggie Mama! :)

    ReplyDelete